To coincide with the introduction of the Discrimination (Disability) (Jersey) Law, EYECAN has launched an accreditation scheme for Jersey businesses of all sizes.
The scheme aims to give employers, businesses and staff the knowledge and skills to comfortably engage with people who are living with blindness or sight loss. Holding the accreditation will give people with sight impairment the confidence to use your business or service in the knowledge that their additional needs can be catered for and met.
The accreditation process is simple and easily achievable and involves:
- Completing training based on your business type and needs which will involve practical exercises, small group activities and open discussions with the opportunity to share knowledge, experiences and ask questions in a relaxed, non-judgemental atmosphere.
- Fulfilling the accreditation checklist and service user experience with an audit of your business and a mystery-shopping exercise.
- Implementation of low cost and no cost tips and solutions that you and your business can use to meet the reasonable adjustments recommended in the law.
On completion, your business will be awarded the EYECAN Accreditation Marque certificate and stickers to display on your business premises.
Who is this accreditation for?
This accreditation has been designed for companies of all sizes – from small local businesses to international organisations based in Jersey. It will provide practical guidelines on how to support people with sight loss and ensure compliance with the new disability discrimination law.
Why do you need it?
1 in 5 people over the age of 65 have sight loss. As a business, it is highly likely that you will encounter a member of staff, customer or client who suffers from sight loss or impairment. Are you ready to cater for their needs?
In jersey we know from the 2011 census:
- 20% of the 65 to 90 year olds live with sight loss
- Half of the 90+ year old islanders live with sight loss
- A total of 3,096 people over 65 live with sight loss.
EYECAN’s accreditation has been specifically designed, based on the requirements of the new discrimination Jersey law, to ensure businesses of all sizes gain an understanding of what it is like to live with sight loss. The training explains parts of the law that relate to you, your business and staff in jargon-free terms. It provides useful specifics on how your business can enhance the experience of sight impaired clients, employees or customers in realistic and achievable ways. You will also gain a valuable understanding of the impact that inaccessible information and environments have on people living with sight loss.
The benefits of EYECAN accreditation
- Change the perception of sight loss to give those affected by it more opportunities and support, while increasing the inclusiveness of work and public places island-wide;
- Provisions of practical guidelines and skills development;
- Training to help businesses understand sight loss;
- Explanation of the law and how it applies to your business;
- Jargon-free, low cost or no cost solutions.
What you get for achieving EYECAN accreditation
- Certificate of accreditation to display in your premises.
- Corporate logo on the EYECAN hall of fame.
- EYECAN accredited logos for use on email footers, website and company collateral.
- EYECAN accredited stickers to display on your premises.
- Discount for further EYECAN training of 25% – 50%.
- Access to future EYECAN seminars and workshops held for employers and businesses.
- Mystery shopper audit refresher every 3 years.
- Reduced rate website audit.
We recommend training is completed on your businesses premises as it allows staff to be in a familiar environment. Our centre, based in St Martin, has limited availability for hosting training venue if required.
Trainers simply need a power source and a projector screen on site. They come equipped with all other materials and devices required for the training.