Guide Dog Week 2017
7th – 15th October 2017
This Guide Dogs Week people all over the UK are Moving it for Money to help ensure Guide Dogs can help as many blind and partially sighted people as possible.
Facts about guide dogs:
- The average working life of a guide dog is six to seven years.
- At the end of 2016, there were 5,015 active guide dog owners in the UK.
- Guide dogs are responsible for around 8,000 dogs at any one time – active working guide dogs and those enjoying their retirement.
- Guide dogs breed in the region of 1,300 guide dog puppies each year.
- 828 people were matched with a guide dog in 2016.
- It costs £35 per week to keep a partnership together.
- Total cost from birth to retirement of a guide dog is £56,800.
In the video below, which is audio described, Steve talks about how he led an ordinary life, until one night the lights went out. He’d lived with glaucoma for many years, but after an operation he woke up and his world was totally black. Steve speaks about how becoming a guide dog owner helped get the old Steve back.
For more information about Guide Dog week visit https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/guidedogsweek#.Wds16miPKUm