National Eye Health Week: Recipes for your eyes!
Kit Chamier, registered nutritionist, has produced some recipes for your eyes as part of Eye Health Week (http://www.eyecan.je/eye-health-week/)
Glazed sesame Salmon with wilted Spinach and Broccoli (serves 2)
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine
1 garlic clove
2 tsp grated ginger
2 salmon fillets
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp honey
2 Large handfuls of fresh spinach
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C fan and line a baking tray with grease proof paper
2. Mix together all ingredients to make a dressing, setting aside the salmon, broccoli and spinach.
3.. Measure out half of the dressingand marinade the Salmon for 15 minutes. (the other half will be used for the vegetables)
4. Meanwhile wash and cut the broccoli
5. Place the marinated salmon in the middle of the baking tray drizzling any left over marinade from the bowl on top of the salmon and cook in oven for 10-12 minutes
6. Boil the broccoli for 6-8 minutes throwing in the spinach for the last minute so that it just wilts
7. Drain the vegetables and serve up, drizzling the other half of the dressing
8. Please the cooked salmon fillet next the vegetables and sprinkle any extra chilli/ sesame seeds on top.
Bright Eyes Breakfast
1 Large Tomato
1 Large handful of fresh spinach
1. Heat 1 tsp butter in a large non stick frying pan and fry the tomatoes as slices until browned
2. Whilst the tomatoes cook beat the eggs with 1 tbsp water adding a pinch of salt and plenty of cracked black pepper.
3. Transfer the tomatoes over to the serving plate and set aside for later, wilt the spinach in the residual heat of the pan whilst you continue your recipe
4. In another non-stick pan, heat a tsp butter on a medium heat and pour the egg mixture in, stirring continuously.
5. Serve the eggs, with the tomatoes and spinach on the side. Add toast for something a bit more substantial
Blueberry Porridge and Almond flakes
25g Porridge oats
150g 0% plain yogurt
Small handful of flaked almonds
1. Pour 200ml water into a non stick pan and stir in the oats, cooking on a low heat until bubbling and thick.
2. Once in the serving bowl swirl in the yogurt gently and sprinkle over the blueberries, raspberries and almond flakes